If you thought you could only make ice cream with a store bought mix and an ice cream maker think again. You don’t need fancy gadgets or an ice cream maker just a little time and patience, but it’s all worth it when you enjoy this fantastic healthy treat.
Without further adieu, the modified version of David Lebovitz Chocolate Ice Cream from The Perfect Scoop.
Yummy Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream.
- 2 tablespoons cacao
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 4 oz dark cooking chocolate
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup while sugar
Set up the kitchen before you start. You’ll need a strainer, an ice bath – throw a bunch of ice cubes in a large bowl and add water. The custard mix will sit on top of this to cool down so make sure it’s big enough.
1. Mix cocao powder, cooking chocolate and 1 cup of cream in a pot and place on the stove burner on low heat. Stir constantly until the chocolate is melted and blended. Remove from heat, pour into a larger bowl, that will later sit in the water bath, add one cup of milk stir. Set bowl in the water bath.
2. In a bowl lightly beat the egg yolks.
3. In a separate pot add the milk and sugar. Warm the milk mixture on low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Pour the heated milk mixture slowly into eggs, whisking as you do then return the egg mixture to the stove. Stir constantly at low heat until a custard consistency is formed. I used a thermometer and pulled the mixture off just as it reaches 170 degrees Fahrenheit. Oops I guess a cooking thermometer is a fancy gadget, it’s new so I forgot about it until now. Sorry.
4. Quickly pour the egg mixture through strainer into the chocolate mixture sitting in the ice bath. Stir until cool. Add the vanilla as soon as you can after staining the egg mixture. FYI, You strain it to make sure you’re ice cream doesn’t come out like scrambled eggs. Any solids will stay in the strainer which can then be discarded.
5. Once cool pour into a mold and put in freezer until frozen.
Here’s the vanilla ice cream I poured into a silicon mold and turned out onto parchment paper after it was frozen.
This became the top of my daughter’s 10th birthday cake.
Ok on to the vanilla ice cream recipe which is super simple. I used no cream just milk in this recipe but it turned out fine and the kids loved it.
Vanilla Ice Cream
- 3 cups milk
- vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
Follow the same steps as for chocolate ice cream, prepare the ice bath and follow steps 2-5. The only difference is that I heated all the milk and poured the egg and sugar mixture into the warmed milk. From there you cook the custard, strain it off and cool it the same.
Hope you enjoy these refreshing and healthy desserts.