Curried Green Lentil and Carrot Stew
2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cups large diced yellow onions (2 onions)
2 cups large diced carrots (3-4 carrots)
3 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tbls.)
1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes
1 cup green lentil (7 ounces)
2 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
2 teaspoons mild curry powder
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 tablespoon good quality red wine vinegar
1. Measure 1 cup green lentils into a heat proof bowl. Cover lentils with boiling water. Let sit for 10 minutes and drain.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and carrots and cook over medium low heat for 8-10 minutes, until the onions start to brown. Stir occasionally with a wooden spoon. Add the garlic sauté 1 minute.
3. Chop the canned tomatoes in the can using a large knife.
4. Add the tomatoes, lentils, chicken stock, a dash of red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper. Raise the heat to bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer covered for about 20-30 minutes, until the lentils are tender and carrots are to desires tenderness.
5. Season to taste and serve hot. Enjoy!
I hope you enjoy this nutritious and delicious stew. I’d love to hear your comments on this, please leave a comment below.
This recipe is from Ina’s Barefoot Contessa